Sunday, July 1, 2007

Out door life in summer....


Well this week I didnt get anything quilty done. We went Wed. to get the boat from Kansas City, that ended up to be a very long trip. It was poring rain the whole time there and for 100 miles west of the city. The boat is a Starcraft 1995 and the motor is a 1994. We got a really good deal for it or we wouldnt have driven 400 miles to pick it up. On Saturday we took it out to the lake to see how it ran (only ran it with the muffs on the motor out of water). We had a pretty good time, it was over cast and a bit cool when we got out there, we took advantage of that and tested alot of the things on the boat. We had a little trouble at one point but it jsut needed new spark plugs, and the motor once we changed them seemed to run fine. We need to work on the trim motor we couldnt get it to trim. So now we know for the next time what we need for out on the lake like suntan lotion or keep covered up like I did. Jessica and Sean both got toasted.
I went to a flea market type thing and found a ton load of fabric from one woman that had just gotten it from an auction, there is alots of vintage fabs and 99.% was really nice clean cotton. There is alot of bits and piecies but thats ok for scrapy quilts,There is even a panel of Charley brown. Be nice for a center for a quilt for the babys at the hospital project. Think I only spent 11.00 for a big box full. Also found some old quilt magazines that have alot of the patterns right in them and also the appy patterns to. Seems like alot of the magazines today have more advertizing in them then patterns, or you have to send away for them and pay. The older magazines have alot of really neat ideas. I left some laying on the bed and sugar the puppy started chewing on them, Bad Bad puppy!
We have had a repreave from the heat for the last week its been so nice specially at night. Im hoping the heat doesnt come into bad before the air is done. Samantha my oldest daughter will be coming for the 4th, and we will be firing off the fireworks we got from SD while up there.
I have also been working in the garden seems the weeds are growing faster than the plants I planted. I had my first stuff out of the garden swiss chard and I pulled an onion today, its still kinda small or a large scallion. I have set now the squashs, tomatoes, and the carrots are growing unlike last year they never did anything. Jessicas snap peas are blooming and I saw that one of the first watermelons I planted is blooming. I sit back looking at the garden and feel such accomplishment from it. After living in Az for 21 years, where you have to plant gardens in the winter and some times it gets to warm before everything is fully done, also the sand is so bad to grow in you have to do so much to the ground before growing anthing. Little by little im going to start planting some flowers in the garden more, there is enought room for a flower garden with the vegetables, and maybe some herbs.
Im so enjoying living in Nebaska again, being able to do the things here that you cant in Az because you die from the heat. And seeing all the wild life and flowers that grow wild here is so special I think. Its so nice to enjoy the small things in life, and feel content while doing it.
Sitting back and listening to the sounds of the country and haveing fresh air and a cool breeze in the evening is all well worth it. It so brings back the feelings of being a child on my grandparents farm, a much easyer slower way of life. Adventuring for hours, watching the bird or just laying in the grass watching the clouds putting names to shapes. My child hood was very special I think living 10 miles out of town and most time only have me to play with. Looking for lizards or frogs and even a snake everyonce in a while. Even as a child I was very close to nature and what was around me, Id go into the creek and pick wild violets for Grandma or just adventure up the road letting my imagination run wild. Id hang out in the crab apple tree and get a belly ache from eating so many, or go eat tomatoes or carrots right out of the garden. As a child I would never spend all day watching tv inside we barly had the tv on. It was only for special nights or sunday night to watch disney. I could watch cartoons some but I wasnt glued to the TV for hours, I was out side all the time in the spring and summer, away from the house for hours. Id swim in the cow tank when I got hot, or for special times my grandparents would take me to the public pool in town. We would always go to town on saturday night, Id go to a movie and they would talk with there friends that gathered on main street. We would also sell the eggs for the week to the market, my grandma made everything pretty much so we didnt shop in the market to much. Going to the big city once a month was a big event in my life, we'd get dressed up and go to Hastings, Grandma could get some sewing materials or what ever she need from Ben franklin, and Grandpa would get stuff for his tractors or what ever was needed. I spent hours with my grandpa at the grainerys in the summer, and id go out and help bring drinks to the combiners while they harvested. When I got older they would put me in the back of the grain truck and Id help push the grain around. I have so many special memories from living on the farm, I guess I was very luck to have such a wonderful child hood as I did. I so miss the child like feeling I had while living with my grandparents.
I just wish my daughters could have experenced the farm life and country life at a earlyer age.
Both like the city and city things. They both get bored out here finding nothing to do.
Well I think I'll go figure out where im going to put all this fabric I just got, I really need to do some thing quilty..........

1 comment:

swooze said...

Nice story. I have similar memories except I did not live on a farm. But I would be up and gone all day traipsing through the woods looking for critters. My kids are glued to the computer!