Sunday, June 17, 2007

after the yard sale marathon




We servived the yard sale marathon, barely. Friday and Saturday we went on a 5 county wide yard sale hunt that the citys were all putting on here in Nebraska. I raked in lots of fabric, kitchen items, Sean got a computer that has not hardly been used and all it needs is a hard drive, and I got this wonderful old sewing machine with table for 10.00, with the book and all the attachements ever made I think even the huge button holer..
I was worried that it may not work or it would have to go to a shop. But after oiling all the places it describes to and adjusting the tensions, and getting it treaded right, It sews like a dream. All I could say was wow. It is a straight stitch only machine but I think I found my new quilting machine. In testing it I folded up some fabric so it was really thick and it sewed threw it like a dream. Id say this machine sews better than my brother im on now. My brother does do all the neat stitches and all but I think this newhome is a lot stronger. Plus I love the 1960s cabinet it was in. Im so happy about finding it. I'll test it out for quilting on a little piece I have later but im confident it will do the job. I can turn the fabric so smoothly and it has a bit more sewing room.
Any way im glad the sales are over and I really dont want to see an other yard sale for a while. We probably hit over 100 sales in the 2 days. It was fun and I met some interesting people along the way. And it was a good cheep weekend. But wow am I worn out from getting in and out of the care over and over.

3 comments:

swooze said...

Nice finds! Congrats on the new machine.

Anonymous said...

shes a bloody beauty saph! the old garage sale machines are the best , i have one and she is beautiful green too like yours! she will serve you well for you future quilting and not much can go wrong with them ! love hefty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.